Thursday, May 13, 2004

Just my luck to be leaving town at the exact moment when India finally dumps the BJP. (I'd link to an Indian paper rather than a British one, but all the Indian media sources are running really slowly. It's not terribly surprising: I bet every Indian expat is checking compulsively.) I want to talk to ask my Indian friends about this, but I don't think I'll have time before the medical road trip. At any rate, anytime a party fueled by religious intolerance is replaced by a secular one, it can only be a good thing. Score one for democracy.

I'm sort of obsessed with the phenomenon of the political widow, of whom Sonia Gandhi is a prime example. There's something really fascinating about women who leverage a "traditional" role to gain real political power. Will perhaps write more about that when it's not the wee hours of the moring and I don't still have papers to grade.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?