Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Back from the rheumatologist. The good news is that she thinks the nausea is probably not a big deal. The bad news is that the only bad thing it could be is hepatitis. I've had a test, and the results should be back by the begining of next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a big absence of hepatitis.

So there was a copy of Marie Claire at the doctor's office, and in it they have a little celebrity political faceoff in which Bill Maher talks about why you should vote forKerry and Dennis Miller talks about why you should vote for Bush. And the moral of this story is that Dennis Miller thinks Marie Claire readers are really, really stupid. I mean, phenominally dumb. It was the most idiotic, condescening, insulting piece of crap I've ever read. I'm honestly tempted to go back and get quotes, because I can't even convey how awful it was. It's like he was talking to rather dim, boy-crazy 12-year-olds.

Now, I'm not going to argue that Marie Claire is a smart magazine. It's basically a step up from Cosmo: it's all about lipgloss and how to please your man and what office-appropriate clothes are most flattering for your body type. But it doesn't talk down to its readers, and it doesn't address them as if they're morons. And Bill Maher's piece at least discussed some issues and avoided talking about how good-looking his candidate was. Miller's article reminded me a bit of the whole Dan Quayle thing: Republicans think women are so shallow that we vote for candidates because they're cute, or sort of cute, or what passes for cute in politics. And I choose to vote for candidates who don't insult my intelligence.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?