Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I started master's swimming today, and I'm going to stick with it. It was fun and hard, and I wasn't even the worst swimmer there. I'm pretty sure that I will be the worst swimmer from here on out, because I don't think the one person worse than me is going to come back. But that's ok. I was apparently doing freestyle totally wrong, and by the end of the hour and a half, I was swimming much faster than at the beginning. I enjoy making progress.

However, we have been told that we might choose to buy equipment, and I don't think I can afford equipment. I'm having a hard time figuring out whether there's any reason to buy fins, otherlf, I was swimming much faster than at the beginning. I enjoy making progress.

However, we have been told that we might choose to buy equipment, and I don't think I can afford equipment. I'm having a hard time figuring out whether there's any reason to buy fins, other` cool and make you go fast. I of course want to go fast, but maybe not for $35.

So anyway, I have swim practice four times a week. And I'm going to have to figure out something else to call it, because I'm too old to go to swim practice.

Comments:
i swam competitively growing up, and we never used fins. i have never seen competitive swimmers (either amateur or professional) using fins. i thought fins were for scuba diving?

as far as i know, the only equipment you absolutely need for competitive swimming are goggles, a swim cap, and a racing-style bathing suit. and you could possibly do without the cap if you have short hair. you can get a basic one-piece tank style bathing suit with no sequins or frills for fairly cheap.

it's my understanding, unless things have really changed over the last 10 yeras or so in the beginner just-for-fun swimming world, that most gear beyond that is more for trend value than it is really useful. supplementary equipment would include a kickboard (somewhat useful for practicing leg-oriented form but your pool should provide them), special towels and sweats and such for after the pool (good for staying warm between heats if you swim super-competitively, but basic warm things you already have should be fine at the beginner amateur level), and those swanky shower sandals (again, good between heats, in the gym shower, etc. but REALLY not necessary -- flip flops should do you fine).

have fun!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?