Friday, September 24, 2004

Just in time for Yom Kippur, here's Walmart's catalogue copy for anti-semitic hate tract The Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

"If ... The Protocols are genuine (which can never be proven conclusively), it might cause some of us to keep a wary eye on world affairs. We neither support nor deny its message. We simply make it available for those who wish a copy."


It's good to know that Walmart doesn't support the idea that I'm part of a nefarious Jewish conspiracy for world domination. Of course, it's a bit of a bummer that they don't deny it, either. And honestly, I'm a little shocked that they sold this thoroughly discredited crap, until someone called them on it and they made a "business decision" not to carry it any more.

Here's the full article.

I'm sure this isn't the best reason to boycott Walmart, what with the institutionalized sexism, destroying local economies, and exploiting Third World workers. But it's good enough for me.

I should make it clear that I don't support banning anti-semitic hate literature. I have an academic interest in anti-Catholicism, and I've read all sorts of anti-Catholic conspiracy garbage, some of it in modern editions. I just think it's important to make it clear that you're offering that stuff so people can understand it and not because you think it might be valid.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?