Friday, September 10, 2004

Ok, whatever was wrong with me has clearly passed, because right now I would kill for a cheeseburger. Well, not literally: I would be ok murdering a cow, but I would probably draw the line at actual humans. But I am seriously considering going out in the middle of the night and finding someplace that will make me a burger and some fries. Per my doctor's orders, I have spent the past week on a special anti-nausea diet that is basically Atkins in reverse: it's all carbs. Yesterday, I ate the following things. For breakfast, I had a plain bagel and some diluted cran-raspberry juice. For lunch, I had another plain bagel and cranberry juice cocktail. When dinnertime rolled around, I couldn't stand the idea of another bagel, so I had plain rice and more diluted cran-raspberry juice. And that's pretty much been it. For a week. My body is screaming for protein. Hell, I think my body is probably screaming for calories, although I'm not feeling hungry yet.

But I don't feel nauseous, headachy, feverish, or otherwise miserable, so I am going to count my blessings. Did I mention the headachy and feverish thing? That started the day before yesterday. But it's gone now, so everything is good in the world.

I have no other news, because I am spending my life reading newspapers from 1916. There's something very comforting about immersing yourself in the past, because there's not a lot of suspense about what's going to happen. Actually, that's not entirely true, because while I know what's going to happen on the world historical stage, I don't necessarily know what's going to happen to the individual people with whom I'm dealing. And I am quite personally invested in some of them. I like some of them. I want them to live long, happy, healthy lives. One of the guys I'm dealing with ends up dying young in the 1918 flu epidemic, and I was bummed for a week when I learned about it. But I know how the election is going to turn out, and I know who is going to win the war, and I don't have to worry or angst about it. Which is more than I can say about the world I confront when I leave the library.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?