Monday, September 13, 2004

You know, I don't really want to read a book called Popped Culture: the Social History of Popcorn in America. But it makes me happy that it exists.

So yesterday I spent $106 on a bra. That's not a typo: a bra, singular. It's a very fancy strapless bra, and the fact that it works is an engineering feat worthy of NASA, but I am still rather bitter about it. I really did try to explain to my sister-in-law that spaghetti strap dresses don't work on my body. She's a scrawny New York fashionista who thinks she knows about big boobs because she wears a C cup. I wear a 32DD. It's hard enough to find any bra in a 32DD, let alone a strapless bra that actually does all the things that a bra is supposed to do.

Here are some things that I learned while trying to buy a 32DD strapless bra. First of all, I learned that in my city, it is much, much easier to find fetish wear in 36 C than a strapless bra in my size. I spent a lot of time googling lingerie stores, and I know this for sure. There are also a ton of chic boutiques that carry sexy little unmentionables for normal-sized women. When you call them to ask about bras in my size, they either laugh or say something that is supposed to sound sympathetic but actually makes you feel like a pathetic freak of nature.

Second of all, I learned that rich-people malls make me nervous. I had to drive across town to the rich-person mall, because the malls near my house do not carry $106 bras, which means that they don't carry strapless bras in my size. The kids at the rich-person mall all dress up to go shopping. Or maybe they wear tiny little tiered miniskirts every day: I don't know. At any rate, they don't look like the kids in my neighborhood, most of whom can't afford Juicy miniskirts, self-tanning, or $100+ haircuts and highlights. And since I am not a kid and still don't have expensive clothes, a fake-bake, or a haircut that costs a quarter of my monthly rent, I felt like a very obvious interloper.

Having said that, the lady at the Nordstrom's underwear department was very nice and helpful. I found a bra, it works, and I am trying not to think about the fact that it has obliterated my entertainment budget for the month. Next challenge is shoes, which must be very pointy and dyed to match the dress.

The thing is, I love my brother and sister-in-law. I'm pleased as punch to be in their wedding. I just wish they could've picked a dress with sleeves. Is that really so much to ask?



Comments:
"Bra"-vo Sally , Victoria Secret would be proud,very interesting Blog, that is if your a physco-analisist. lol (jk) Know where I can find a $106.00 pair of Mens Briefs in Canada? lol lol, - Gitchless in Manitoba {alias} ~LoneWolf~
 
Nice victoria secret lingerie blog. I found this site that has discount lingerie : **SexyBedroomAttire**
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?