Friday, October 22, 2004

I'm not succombing to flu shot hysteria. I usually get a flu shot, because I had the flu (the real flu, as in influenza) five or so years ago, and it was very unpleasant. But it did not kill me then, and I don't think it's likely to kill me now. Now that I'm off of prednisone, I don't have a compromised immune system: actually if anything I have an overzealous immune system. Considering how effectively it has attacked my various organs, I'm pretty sure it could handle any flu buggies.

Having said that, I'm reasonably alarmed that my 84-year-old grandmother has not been able to get her hands on a flu shot. Neither have any of the other residents or workers at her nursing home. We're all trying to keep calm about this, but it does kind of seem like a recipe for disaster.

Therefore I am, to put it mildly, not pleased to hear that members of the Chicago Bears football team have been given flu shots. Assholes. Nice to know that a bunch of healthy athletes think their comfort is more important than elderly people's lives.

Comments:
Ugh. I've only gotten a flu shot once (while on prednisone), because my hyperactive immune system protects me from catching stuff. But I think all elderly people should have it. The cynicism of protecting athletes from flu with priority over the elderly makes me so fucking mad. The almighty dollar has to be more important than people's beloved grandparents??! Grr.
(Sofiya, couldn't be bothered logging in)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?