Friday, October 29, 2004

Is it very, very dangerous that I'm beginning to think that Bush could actually lose? I usually practice defensive pessimism so I'm not devistated when the worst comes to pass, and I'm trying to maintain that stance now. But I have third-hand (but reasonably reliable third-hand) information that the Republicans are panicked because their inside polling, which they don't release to the press, is looking ominous for them. And all of the mini-October surprises seem to favor Kerry, with the possible exception of Rehnquist's health, which I think is probably a tossup.

Incidentally, I have an election rant. I live in a very Democratic, fairly liberal distric. In fact, there is no doubt that every local election is going to go to the Democrat. In many cases, the Democrat is running unopposed. This is to say that I live in exactly the kind of place where the Green party or some other lefty third party should be active. It would be possible to build a real grassroots movement here, and nobody could accuse you of playing spoiler or throwing the election to the Republicans. A third-party candidate might even be able to be elected to local office, which would provide a base from which to run for state-wide office. And yet the only third party on the ticket was the Libertarians. The Greens are perfectly happy to run a presidential candidate who could cause Bush to win the election, but they can't be bothered to do the hard, meaningful work of grass-roots organizing. If they're really serious about taking back the American political system, this makes no damn sense to me. It's as if they think the fastest way to power is to be the biggest menace possible, not to actually organize a movement.

Oh, and this just in: Atkinson County, GA, has apparently come to the conclusion that challenging voters based solely on their race is not okay. Way to join the 21st century (hell, the second half of the 20th century), Atkinson County! I sort of thought we'd already fought this particular battle, but I guess it's never too late to fight it again.

You know, I'll be happy when the election is over and I can get back to blogging about my medical problems.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?