Monday, January 10, 2005

In a fit of totally misplaced generosity (and also because it was free), my parents have given me subscriptions to both Time and Newsweek. I'm sort of irked about this: if you put a magazine in front of me, I will read it, and I certainly have better things to do with my time than read more than one bland weekly news magazine. Also, it's a recycling hassle. So anyway, my first issue of Newsweek has arrived, and I'm sort of shocked to realize that the magazine appears to have completely given up on covering the news. It's all about celebrities, gizmos, fitness, drugs for acne and other not-terribly-serious conditions, and assorted other "news you can use," as long as you have no use for politics or other issues that actually matter. Don't get me wrong: I'm all for frivolity. I have a subscription to Entertainment Weekly. I read Lucky, perhaps the most frivolous magazine in the history of magazine publishing, on a pretty regular basis. But I don't pretend that Lucky or EW will keep me informed about current events.

Comments:
Weird. Not that you're becoming lactose intolerant, but because you're doing it at the same time as me. I've never had problems with dairy before, but last week my throat flared up and veganism conceeded to the need for a liquid diet. Problem was, milky things made my throat worse and created large amounts of snot.
Maybe it just isn't very healthy stuff.
~Nella(marie)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?