Friday, April 22, 2005

I wrote 16 pages of dissertation today, and I am too tired to be coherent. Sorry. So here's what happened with Dr. Obnoxious. He agreed that I should go off the steroids, which is lovely. On the other hand, he claims, with no evidence, that I'm better than I was a month ago and that the steroids made me that way. The stupid blood tests aren't even back yet, and all he has to go on about the vertigo is my word. But apparently, my word doesn't count for anything, even when we're discussing the sensations that I'm feeling.

Basically, Dr. Obnoxious is incapable of admitting that he is not omniscient. Rather than admit that there's some trial and error involved, which is the truth, he lies and pretends that whatever he has done has worked. It's annoying and insulting and it suggests that I'll have to fight the steroid battle all over again unless I can manage not to have another flare until I finish grad school and (hopefully) get on a better health plan.

But in better news, I wrote 16 pages of my dissertation today. And with that, I'm going to go to bed.

Comments:
16 pages, wow. I'm too intimidated for grad school. Anyway, this might sound weird since you don't know me or anything, but I thought of you (and your regular posts on Catholic bashing) when watching about 10 minutes worth of that Revelations mini-series. Almost all of the characters are catholic and yet the material is pretty much an evangelical pet interest.
 
Ok, I have pondered this (well, ok, thought about it for five minutes), and here is my theory.

It's true that evangelicals seem to be particularly enamored of the end-of-the-world thing. But it's also a pretty common theme in pop culture more generally, albeit in an asteroid-hitting-earth kind of way rather than a Revelations kind of way. I haven't seen the series, but it looks like they're going for maximum crossover appeal: the ads keep comparing it to The Da Vinci Code, which is a big hit with people who aren't particularly religious, as well as (some) people who are. I think they picked the end of the world theme not just because it's popular with evangelicals but also because it has maximum crossover potential and allows them to do conventional sci-fi things.

But if you're going to go with the Protestant (but crossover-friendly) end-of-the-world theme, it's probably not a bad idea to broaden the appeal by making the characters Catholic. Also, the success of the Da Vinci Code made Hollywood think that people dig stories about Catholics. And in general, Hollywood has historically been more comfortable with Catholic clergy and sisters than with Protestant ministers. I'm not sure why that is. But I've been reading up on the history of Catholic movie censorship recently, and one point that some authors make is that unlike a lot of Protestant critics of Hollywood's morality, most Catholic movie censors really liked movies. They may have had problems with particular things about movies, but they didn't tend to think that pop culture in general was sinful or decadent. The Catholic Church criticized Hollywood a lot, but it didn't suggest that the movies or even the industry was inherently bad. So Hollywood had much better relations with the Catholic Church than with many Protestant denominations, and writers and directors were more likely to portray priests and nuns sympathetically.

My hunch, by the way, is that seriously religious people wouldn't watch the show. I was watching T.V. with a friend who's very religious (Protestant, non-fundie, divinity student), and she was totally horrified by the commercial for Revelations.
 
Hmm, made me remember this:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19981030/REVIEWS/810300302/1023
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?