Tuesday, October 04, 2005

It turns out that every aspect of my being can be attributed to my wonky immune system...

According to this story from The Economist, researchers now suspect that anorexia may be an autoimmune disorder. Seriously. There's a possibility that bulimia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and schizophrenia may have autoimmune components, as well.

How weird is that? Next thing you know, they'll discover that procrastination, PMS, and not liking raw tomatoes are all caused by overactive immune systems, because clearly my entire personality is a result of my being allergic to my own body.

Edited to add: in further what-the-fuck! news on the autoimmunity/ anorexia link, doctors at a children's hospital in Nebraska have identified a small subset of anorexic children in whom anorexia seems to be an autoimmune disease. The distiguishing feature is that their eating disorder occurs suddenly, soon after they have an infection or flu-type thing. And that's exactly what happened to me. I went to bed with a fever and a cough and came out with full-blown anorexia.

Freaky.

Comments:
Last week anorexia was a potential symptom of aspergers (something not normally diagnosed in females for various reasons). Guess they can't make up their minds. Sorry to be somewhat flippant on this, I know this might be vital and important news to you; I'm just wondering how every possible explanation besides patriarchy is suddenly hot stuff.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?